Why you need to change your furnace filter to avoid costly furnace repairs
So many of our customers seem surprised that they need to change the furnace filter. There are two questions they have after learning that they need to change their furnace filter:
- Why do I need to change my furnace filter?
- How often should I change my furnace filter?
There are 3 reasons why you need to change your furnace filter:
- Avoid needing a furnace repair or furnace replacement. Dirt and dust can clog your furnace’s filter which does not allow air to pass through. Once your furnace’s filter is clogged up, it can cause excess debris from the filter to break off and clog other parts of your filter causing costly breakdowns.
- A new and clean furnace filter will keep the air healthy and fresh in your home. This is especially important for people who have asthma or allergies and if you have pets living in your home. Mold spores, dust, and dirt get filtered through your home’s furnace which can lead to poor indoor air quality.
- Save money on your home’s energy bills. When your air filter is clogged, your furnace has to work harder to get air to pass through which consumes more energy. This is another reason why your furnace might need more repairs or a replacement sooner because it is working harder to heat your home.
People who know that their furnace filter needs to be replaced assume that it only needs to be replaced once a year, but this is incorrect. At a minimum, it should be replaced once a year but it is recommended that you replace your furnace filter at least 3-4 times a year. It is recommended that you change your furnace 3 times a year if:
- You have a pet(s)
- A fireplace
- Are working on in-home construction projects
- Smoke inside of your home
- Have an older home with more dust
If you have a home that doesn’t have pets or other factors in the list above, replacing your furnace filter every 4 months will be enough to keep the air in your home clean and healthy and for your furnace running the way it should.
Along with checking your home’s furnace filter 3-4 times a year., it is recommended that you get your furnace cleaned and checked before turning it on in the winter. Our certified technicians at Summit Heating and Cooling in Colorado Springs can help you with your home’s furnace. Whether you need a furnace clean and check or a replacement furnace, we can help with all of your HVAC needs. Our team proudly serves the following Colorado cities and their surrounding areas: Colorado Springs, Monument, Palmer Lake, Peyton, Falcon, Manitou Springs, Woodland Park, Fountain, Security-Widefield, and Calahan. Call 719-284-2791 to schedule your next AC maintenance or furnace check or visit our website to learn more.